- 1 Box of chocolate cake mix, along with whatever is mentioned in the box: vegetable oil, eggs and water.
- 1 bottle of whole cherries in syrup. You may not use the whole bottle.
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 cup of shaved Dark Chocolate.
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease two 8 or 9inch round cake pans, or spray with baking spray.
- Make and bake cake as directed on the box. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until slightly thickened. Gradually beat in the sugar until stiff peaks form.
Now to assemble the cake.
- Make sure that the cake is completely cooled before assembling. It also helps if you place the cake in the fridge for a few hours before assembling. This avoids lot of crumbs to fall off from the cake when you are coating it with the whipped cream.
- Take the cake and cut off the top dome shape of the cake with the serrated knife. Do this for both the cakes. This gives you flat pieces of cake to work with. And is also more stable when you stack one cake on top of the other.
- Take one of the cakes and place it on the serving plate. Now poke the cake with a fork a few times and sprinkle the cake with 3-4 tablespoons of the cherry syrup.
- Now spread a good amount of whipped cream on top of the cake.
- Cut 10 -15 cherries in halves and place a layer of cherries on top of the whipped cream layer.
- Place the second cake on top of the whipped cream and cherry layer. So now you have two round cakes on top of each other with whipped cream and cherries sandwiched in between.
- Poke the second cake too with the fork and sprinkle the cherry syrup
- Now cover the whole cake with whipped cream. And decorate on top with cherries and chocolate shavings.
Linking this to these awesome parties here, here, here and here.