The other day we did a little experiment at home and the kids loved it. The outcome was even more exciting. You don't need snow to have snowflakes, you can make your own snowflakes and that too in summer...how cool is that..:).
1 white pipe cleaner
1 cup boiling water
Borax - 3 tbps
Few inches of twine/string.
Stick or Dowel
1 wide mouthed bowl. Make sure that the bowl is big enough to hold the snowflake form.
- Cut the pipe cleaner in 3 equal lengths and twist together to form the snowflake shape. You can make elaborate snowflake shape if you want.
- Make a solution of 1 cup of boiling water and 3 tablespoons of borax and keep stirring.
- Pour this solution in the wide mouthed bowl.
- Tie a twine around one of the spokes of the snowflake. This will be your hanger, both in the borax solution and also to hang this snowflake later anywhere you want.
- Tie the other end of the twine of the snowflake hanger to a stick or a dowel and lower the snowflake in the borax solution. You can rest the stick or the dowel on the mouth of the bowl, so that the snowflake is just hanging in the solution and does not fall to the bottom of the bowl.
- Keep the snowflake form in the solution overnight and in the morning you will see stunning crystallized snowflake.
To check other crafts and tutorials visit Crafts/Tutorials tab on the top.
Linking this to these awesome parties here, here, here and here.