So few years back, I googled for a simple recipe to follow for making the fruit cake and found this. Below is the original receipe, but I adjust the amount of fruits I use, since at our home we don't like a whole lot of fruits, but it still tastes wonderful.
- 1 1/2 cups of candies pineapple chunks.
- 3 cups golden raisins.
- 1 1/2 cups candied cherries.
- 2 ounces candied orange peel.
- 2 ounces candies citron peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 8 eggs separated
- 4 cups pecan
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour.
- Chop pineapple, raisins, and cherries. Combine all chopped fruits and nuts and soak it in orange juice overnight.
-Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Place a small pan of water in the oven. This is to keep the cake moist and soft.
- Line one 5x9 inch loaf pan and two 3x8 inch loaf pans with parchment or doubled waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar. Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir in fruit, juice, and pecans. Mix in sifted flour.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to peaks. Fold into batter. Fill pans 2/3 full.
Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.